Sun-Spots Digest, v6n123

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Wed Jun 29 06:55:25 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST          Tuesday, 28 June 1988       Volume 6 : Issue 123

Today's Topics:
                    Administrivia: archive server news
       Re: Need advice on distributed networks and database systems
                     Re: Sun losing track of console
                         Monitor-problem Verified
                           gethostbyname in 4.0
                         Problems Installing 4.0
                             SunOS 3.5 Blues
         Error messages not appearing in console window on client
     Sun NeWS - command needed to free space allocated by the package
     Disk configuration question (Xylogics with No. Telecom on Sun 3)
          ndbm routines hang in lseek() or read() -- Any ideas??
                 Big monitors, and monitors in parallel?
                           rlogin/vi problems?
                        how do we use a 3/260 CXP?
                      Trailblazer modems and Sun386?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Tue, 28 Jun 88 12:57:10 CDT
From:    William LeFebvre <phil at Rice.edu>
Subject: Administrivia: archive server news

I have installed a new version of the archive server software and it seems
to be running rahter smoothly.  Among the other things that this version
fixes is the infamous "`system' in the address's comment field" problem.
The server now strips off any comment in the "From" address before
checking for known userids such as "daemon" and "system".  Some of you
were having problems because your From address included a string like
"(systems division)".  This should now be fixed.  I have also added
mechanisms to make it easier to track down the real address for messages
that are returned to me with bad paths.  This should make it easier for me
to track down problems some of you have had in getting the server to
respond.  Enjoy!

William LeFebvre
Sun-Spots moderator
<phil at Rice.edu>