Sun-Spots Digest, v6n105

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Thu Jun 9 15:38:11 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST        Wednesday, 8 June 1988        Volume 6 : Issue 105

Today's Topics:
                    Re: Is NFS "secure" in SunOS 4.0?
                             Re: Xylogics 753
                        Re: 4.0 unbundled software
                             3.5 Upgrade bug
                                 TIOCCONS
            Summary of investigation into Backup Applications
                         CDC Sabre series drives
                      Installing C++ on a Sun 4/260
             Questions about 8mm backups for entire networks
                      New TCP/IP release and Sun 3?
                      tape drive sharing via switch?
                     Direct Sun <--> PSN connection?
                           Sun 3/50 eyestrain?
                         Binders for the manuals?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Tue, 31 May 88 15:55:34 PDT
From:    sxn at sun.com (Stephen X. Nahm)
Subject: Re: Is NFS "secure" in SunOS 4.0?
Reference: v6n94

> As far as I understand, secure RPC uses encryption so it will no longer be
> possible to breach security by using etherfind(1) or a network tap
> analyzer to watch data packets fly by on the ethernet.

Not ture.  The only thing that's encrypted is a timestamp that's used to
verify the identity of the client or server.  The data is still in the
clear.

> ...  anybody with a workstation can assume any uid on that workstation and
> if you export any file systems to that workstation, that user can
> read/write any files (except those owned by uid 0).

Wrong.  This was true for "AUTH_UNIX" NFS authentication, the type used in
pre-4.0 releases of SunOS (and is the default for 4.0 SunOS).   With
"AUTH_DES", the user (client) must enter a password that is used to
construct the verifier passed to the server.  See Brad Taylor's paper in
the Summer 1977 Usenix Proceedings.

>Also, is the *server* allowed to specify "read-only" when it exports a
>file system in SunOS 4.0 ?

Yes.

Steve Nahm
Portable ONC/NFS