Sun-Spots Digest, v6n104

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Tue Jun 7 07:53:42 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST           Monday, 6 June 1988        Volume 6 : Issue 104

Today's Topics:
                   A few words about the archive server
                           Re: 875 Meg Disk yet
        Re: Opinions about ArborText preview versus VorTeX dvitool
                           Re: Consult/Gateway
            Re: "panic: iechkcca" from 2 machines in one night
                      [Unofficial] Patch to Fig 1.4
                            SUN delivery times
                        Extra security for logins?
                   AI/LISP development on SUN 4-series?
                         psvf with bounding box?
                       Searching for past messages?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Mon,  6 Jun 88 14:28:12 CDT
From:    William LeFebvre <phil at Rice.edu>
Subject: A few words about the archive server

Well, actually it is many, many words:

For those who do not know, the archive server is a means by which
non-ARPANet sites can access the Sun-Spots archives.  It is an automatic
mail-response program originally written by Brian Reid of DECWRL.  There
are a few things concerning the use of the server that I would like to
take the time to clarify.  Primarily they have to do with failures.

The archive server only has one source for a reply address:  the mail
header of the requesting message.  It merrily mails its reply to the
address it finds in the mail header.  If the header contains a "Reply-to:"
field, it will use the address specified there.  Otherwise, it will (in
most circumstances) use the contents of the "From:" field.  The most
common problem that the server has is that the address it mails to is
bogus.  This could happen for any number of reasons, the two most common
being either the header was not constructed correctly at the originating
end or some site along the way "munged" it in an invalid way.
Unfortunately, when this happens, the mail message gets returned to the
server.  The server detects the message as a failure and forwards it to
me.  I do not have the time to track down the true address for every
failed mail message I get from the server.  The end result from the
requestor's point of view is that the request fell into a black hole.

There is a way around this problem.  If the request contains a line of the
form "path address", it will mail the response to "address".  All requests
received by the server are either acted upon or acknowledged within an
hour of receipt.  So you should receive some sort of reply (even if it is
just an acknowledgement) within a day of mailing your request.  If you do
not, then add a "path" line with an address that would work *from Rice*
(not necessarily from your machine) to your request and try again.

Another common problem is "I got the acknowledgement but never saw the
actual file".  This is almost certainly caused by the size of your
request.  Large mail message have difficulty travelling through the mail
system.  Sometimes they have difficulty getting out of Rice!  Uucp sites
typically place an upper limit on the size of a mail message.  If your
requested file exceeds that limit, the failed mail message gets sent
to---you guessed it---me.

The automatic detection of mail failure messages also gives rise to a few
problems.  First, the userid from which the request is mailed cannot
contain certain substrings:  daemon, mailer-daemon, system, root.  This
means that "root" cannot request things from the server.  Unfortunately,
it also means that "root2" cannot request things either (someone did try
that recently).  Second, the server does not distinguish between comments
and the true address:  it pays attention to text found in parentheses
(this is a bug I hope to fix soon).  If your "From:" address looks like:
"john at golf.com (John Smith, systems programmer, golf clubs international)"
then the server will think it is a failed mail message.  Why?  Because the
string "system" appeared in the mail address.  Using "path" in this case
won't fix the problem.  When one of these two problems exist, the request
gets treated as a failed mail message and gets forwarded to---you guessed
it---me.

I will try to be more conscientious about turning around failures that are
not caused by bad paths, but please understand my severe time contraints.
The archive server is provided on an "as is" basis.  I can only put in so
much of my time in making it work smoother.  If you do not get a response
to a request within a few days, it is very likely that the server's
response failed in its delivery attempt.  If you send mail to
"archive-management at rice.edu" saying "what happened to my request", I will
try to track it down as time allows.

People with direct ARPANet access shouldn't even bother---use anonymous
FTP instead.

William LeFebvre
<phil at Rice.edu>