Sun-Spots Digest, v6n101

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Thu Jun 2 14:05:51 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST          Wednesday, 1 June 1988      Volume 6 : Issue 101

Today's Topics:
                 Re: Resolver based gethostby* in 4.0 (2)
                         Re: text table full (3)
                     Re: silly behaviour of dbx(tool)
                     Re: Is NFS "secure" in SunOS 4.0
            printing tex dvi files on a sun laserwriter: psdf
                      User-level NFS daemon sources
                            Amiga NFS Security
                      Fig2tex needs a BIG BIG LaTeX
                                gammontool
                             date bizarreness
                  Help, need info on video board for Sun

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Mon, 23 May 88 18:54:16 EDT
From:    libes at cme-durer.arpa (Don Libes)
Subject: Re: Resolver based gethostby* in 4.0 (1)

[talk about going to 4.0 just for getting gethostby* that uses resolver.]

If that is the only reason you want 4.0, don't bother.

Sun has a version of gethostby* that uses the resolver running under 3.x.
This includes yp, sendmail (with MX), nslookup, and the appropriate
libraries.  To get it, call Sun Tech Support and ask for the "nameserver
kit".  It's free.

I only wish I didn't have to bang my head against the wall with the 3.x
version before I learned this.

We have been running it for a couple months now, and I'm quite happy with
the way it works - it is very robust.

About the only reason you wouldn't want it is that it is fairly lean on
documentation, and you really have to read between the lines.  However, if
you have conquered sendmail without the resolver, you can probably conquer
this stuff.

Don Libes          cme-durer.arpa      ...!uunet!cme-durer!libes