Sun-Spots Digest, v6n126

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Thu Jun 30 04:45:06 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST         Wednesday, 29 June 1988      Volume 6 : Issue 126

Today's Topics:
                          Re: 4.0 SOS questions
                        Re: HyperC*rd for the Suns
             Re: Strange behaviour of pw_line() under SunView
                 Re: Problems with CDC EMD (368M) drives
                       Re: Amount of virtual memory
                     Re: subnet mask console message
                          more keyboard madness
                          prompt and sed in 4.0
                   SUNOS 4.0 experiences & impressions
                      max filesystem size under 4.0?
                        VLSI tools under Sun OS 4?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Sun, 19 Jun 88 23:10:11 PDT
From:    JLarson.pa at xerox.com
Subject: Re: 4.0 SOS questions

> can't ftp into a 4.0 SOS machine unless I use the user name root

anonymous ftp works fine to my Sun OS 4.0 machine, after following the
setup instructions in the ftpd man page.

>	I'm running ypserv with the old 	secret -i flag just
>	like I do on our 3.n systems but have no joy.

4.0 versions of ypserv don't use the "-i" option.  You have to build yp
host.by* maps using the "-b" option of makedbm.  (See the makedbm man
page).  You will probably also need a new version of ypserv from Sun which
fixes a critical bug with the "-b" option.  mallen at sun.com should be able
to help you with this.

John Larson, Xerox PARC