Sun-Spots Digest, v6n125

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Thu Jun 30 01:28:54 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST         Wednesday, 29 June 1988      Volume 6 : Issue 125

Today's Topics:
       Re: Sorcerer's Apprentice -- Multiple invocation of Daemons
                     Re: Sun losing track of console
                  Re: A question about the SunOS License
                   mapst: a tool to map a streamer tape
                     SunOS 4.0 comments and questions
                              CDC Sabre 850
                             SunOS 4.0 & sed
                                my new toy
               Question about the value of a source licence
                Experiences with RT Ingres and SUN Ingres?
                        QIC format documentation?
              Sharing an Imagen between VAX(VMS) and Sun 3 ?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Wed, 15 Jun 88 08:27:01 BST
From:    Operator <mcvax!nw.stl.stc.co.uk!root at uunet.uu.net>
Subject: Re: Sorcerer's Apprentice -- Multiple invocation of Daemons

> You would think sendmail with -bd invoked twice would fail because it
> shouldn't be able to bind the SMTP socket again, I've never tried it.

So I thought, let's try it...  You're right, it fails:-

ps ax | fgrep sendmail
27588 ?  I     0:35 /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15
 3962 p5 S     0:00 fgrep sendmail
105 yew# /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m
106 yew# Broadcast message from syslog at pine at Wed Jun 15 08:20:02 1988...
Jun 15 08:20:01 yew.stl.stc.co.uk:      3964 sendmail: cannot get connection

Regards,
Howard Pelling (admin at nw.stl.stc.co.uk +44 782 662212 x235)
System Manager, STC Technology (NW), Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffs.