Sun-Spots Digest, v6n119

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Wed Jun 22 07:57:28 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST          Tuesday, 21 June 1988       Volume 6 : Issue 119

Today's Topics:
                         Re: Doing the unexpected
                         Re: Sun 3/50 eyestrain?
                       Re: CDC Sabre series drives
                      NFS Protocol Rev BOF at USENIX
                             Sun 4 cc(1) bug
                     50's on thick and thin ethernets
                           anonymous ftp setup
                             Calctool problem
                           4.0 routed problems.
                       Xylogics 440 and Sun 2/120?
                              386 and a Sun?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Mon, 13 Jun 88 14:14:08 EDT
From:    budd at bu-it.bu.edu (Phil Budne)
Subject: Re: Doing the unexpected

I posted this to comp.unix.wizards without realizing the original article
was cross posted from sun-spots!

All this is from experience managing a SOS 3.4 cluster, I have no
knowledge of how things may have changed in 4.0.

One example of how a user running /etc/rc* files can cause mayhem is a
user starting a private copy of inetd.  The new inetd will try to bind
local sockets and fail for the ordinary tcp and udp based services, but
will re-register RPC based services with the portmapper.

This happened once here, and all rcp.mountd requests were being serviced
by and failing, returning EACCESS (presumably on an call to open with the
path of the mount (to get an fd to hand to getfh(2))

It took me QUITE a while to track this down after searching for and
finding no applicable references to EACCESS in the source for either
client or server nfs.

portmap and nfsd should be immune to this as they bind to reserved
sockets, but ypbind and ypserv may also have this weakness.

In short portmap does not provide rigorous defense of the ports it names.
In fact any user can call pmap_unset;

/* rpcrm.c -- p budne at bu/dsg */
main( c, v )
	int c;
	char *v[];
{
	if( c != 3 ) {
		printf("%s prog version\n", v[0] );
		exit( 1 );
	} /* wrong number of args */

	if( pmap_unset( atoi( v[1] ), atoi( v[2] ) ) )
	    puts( "OK" );
	else
	    puts( "failed" );
} /* main */