Sun-Spots Digest, v6n118

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Wed Jun 22 07:57:28 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST          Tuesday, 21 June 1988       Volume 6 : Issue 118

Today's Topics:
                       Re: CDC Sabre series drives
                       Re: Pointer for Clearpoint?
                          Re: Sun 3/50 eyestrain
            Re: Anti-Glare/Polarizing Screen for 19" screens?
                     Re: bind: address already in use
                 WARNING: SunOS 4.0 + TrailBlazer problem
                         Bugs in SunOS 4.0 Export
                      SunOS 4.0 problem with .rhosts
                           4.0 SCSI vs. Exabyte
                         3/280 to PSN connection
                            lighting, binders
                              SUN DES chips?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Sun, 12 Jun 88 20:47:33 MST
From:    ncc!lyndon at uunet.uu.net
Subject: Re: CDC Sabre series drives

We have been running a 9720-850 on our 3/280S for approximately two months
now. We haven't had any trouble with them to date.  The drives are
reasonably quite, and produce very little heat.  Our configuration is
using a Rimfire 3200 disk controller with a transfer rate of 2.0 MHz.

We did have some initial configuration problems with this drive/
controller combination. The Sabre's support a "sweep mode" that was
causing the controller to hang. Although the drive is equipped with a
jumper to disable this mode, it did not seem to do anything on our drive.
Ciprico has a new set of controller PROMs that solve the problem. You
should probably test the drive with your existing controller to make sure
this won't be a problem for you as well.