Sun-Spots Digest, v6n67

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Tue May 3 06:08:32 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST            Monday, 2 May 1988         Volume 6 : Issue 67

Today's Topics:
          Re: Reading TAR and CPIO format SUN cartridges on a PC
                            Re: screen dumping
                             Re: Sun-4 status
                fig to (vector based) postscript (SOURCE)
              rastool: display a rasterfile in a sun window
             Swapping a Micropolis 1558 for a Micropolis 1355
                            Nest 2.5 problems
                             decnet and suns?
             Where is the Fig or rasterfile to LaTeX filter??
                 XWindow Interface for Sun Common Lisp ?
                      Where is the autocall program
                    Looking For SCSI or RS-232 Magtape
                            Looking for ypchfn

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Tue, 19 Apr 88 16:59:35 EDT
From:    "William R. Pearson" <wrp at biochsn.acc.virginia.edu>
Subject: Re: Reading TAR and CPIO format SUN cartridges on a PC
Reference: v6n56

"Robert Cape"@ncrlnk.dayton.ncr.com asks how to read sun tapes on an
IBM-PC AT clone with a QIC-60 Wangtek tape drive and controller.  I
believe that this is relatively easy using Xenix, but one can never be
certain whether the hardware/software will run until you try.

I recently purchased an Everex 60 Mbyte tape drive with QIC02 controller.
I was informed at the time of purchase that this controller tape
configuration would work with SCO Xenix 2.2.1 out of the box.  This proved
to not be the case, although apparently other people have gotten other
everex controllers to work with Xenix.  I then purchased some device
driver software for Xenix from Everex, and everything worked fine.  I am
now able to write tar tapes from Xenix and read them on my Sun using the
/dev/rst8 device (this apparently specifies QIC-24 format, which is what
is written by my tape drive, /dev/rst0 uses QIC-11 format, which is older
and less available on PC's.)  I have not tested reading Sun tapes on the
PC, but it seems likely that it will work.

Xenix is relatively easy if Xenix supports your tape/controller
combination, and it is likely that it does, as they support Wangtek drives
and controllers.  Under DOS, it seems like it should be possible also, and
I recall a public domain tar package that runs under DOS, but I do not
remember when it was posted or where to get it.  I suspect that additional
software will be required to start the tape drive and transfer the tar
files under DOS.

Bill Pearson
wrp at virginia