Sun-Spots Digest, v6n69

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Tue May 3 06:08:32 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST            Monday, 2 May 1988         Volume 6 : Issue 69

Today's Topics:
                  Re: Clients not responding immediately
                 Re: SUN screendump to Apple laserwriter?
                    Re: using line drawing characters?
               Re: Need suggestions about graphics software
                 CALL FOR NOMINATIONS -- SUN USER'S GROUP
                        Sun386i Details corrected
                          Memory for a Sun 3/60
                               SLIP for Sun
                   QIC-150 (or 120) SCSI driver wanted
                   exceptional conditions in select(2)
    Questions concerning streaming 9-tracks tape decks on Sun-4/280's
                       Query on Fujitsu M2246 Disks
                              Mouse problems

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Thu, 21 Apr 88 14:06:55 PDT
From:    Brent Chapman <capmkt!brent at cogsci.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: Clients not responding immediately
Reference: v6n61

> Yes, another simple question with simple answer:  Simply, when our 3/260
> server reboots, our 3/160 and four 3/50 clients fail to notice that the
> server is once again available.  They insist that the nfs server is
> unavailable.  After waiting approximately 1/2 hour, then they see the
> server.  Another department here is having the same problem.  Has anyone
> else experienced this problem?  All suggestions, etc., etc. are more than
> welcome.  We are running SunOS 3.4.

It could possibly be that the "timeo" (timeout) parameter for that
filesystem (specified in /etc/fstab) is set to some unreasoably large
value.  According to the manual page for 'mount', when an NFS request is
made, the kernel waits 'timeo' tenths of a second for a response; if none
is received, it sends the request again and doubles the timeo parameter.
It continues to alternate this "resend and wait twice as long as before"
until it either gets a response or the number of retransmissions passes
that set by the "retrans" parameter.  By default, timeo is 7 and retrans
is 3, meaning that you should have to wait at most .7 + 1.4 + 2.8 + 5.6 =
10.5 seconds before it gives up.  If someone has changed the 'timeo'
parameter to something larger on the clients, that might be the problem.

-Brent

Brent Chapman					Capital Market Technology, Inc.
Senior Programmer/Analyst			1995 University Ave., Suite 390
{lll-tis,ucbvax!cogsci}!capmkt!brent		Berkeley, CA  94704
capmkt!brent@{tis.llnl.gov,cogsci.berkeley.edu}	Phone:  415/540-6400