Sun-Spots Digest, v6n74

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Mon May 9 04:54:41 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST            Friday, 6 May 1988         Volume 6 : Issue 74

Today's Topics:
                  Re: A Question about Shared memory (2)
                   Re: Problems with rasfilter8to1 '-d'
                    Re: Problems with philips monitors
                 Re: Conference room sized color displays
                Sun-3 Service Announcement:  PROM upgrade
         Problem and Workaround To Too Many Fields In L.sys File
              slip for suns running 3.n--including Sun-4's?
            printing tex dvi files on a sun laserwriter: psdf?
                     Changing software carrier flags?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Wed, 27 Apr 88 09:34:41 PDT
From:    weiser.pa at xerox.com
Subject: Re: A Question about Shared memory (1)
Reference: v6n63

To share more than 512kbytes of memory on SunOs 3.x (x>=2, I think), you
need to rebuild a kernel.  In the conf file for your particular machine,
in among all the options (like "options		NFS", add two lines like
the following):

options		SHMPOOL=8096	# max number of shared kbytes, total
options		SHMSEG=64	# max shared segments per process

To just increase the max shared size, change SHMPOOL.  But for my
application I was sharing lots of segments, so I also increased SHMSEG.
Of course, all of the shared pages are locked in real memory, so make sure
you have enough real memory.  The above SHMPOOL setting locks down
8Mbytes, which works for me with a 16M machine.

But all changes for the better with SunOS 4.0, coming soon I think.

-mark