Sun-Spots Digest, v6n71

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Thu May 5 01:53:22 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST           Tuesday, 3 May 1988         Volume 6 : Issue 71

Today's Topics:
               Re: Sun & VAX/VMS Decnet mail communication
            Re: Menu items with varying heights under SunTools
                   Re: Problem connecting a Hayes Modem
                        Re: My favorite shell file
                         Re: Bill Joy's dashboard
                           Sun Education Update
                    CC loops on multiply by 0x8000000
                           `pc' ignores program
                   dnalogind dies in SunLink DNI (5.0)
                   Format for byte encoded rasterfiles?
                    Postscript for Dot-Matix Printers?
                      Hacked version of sendmail.cf?
                    Room and phone numbers for Finger?
                             IGES to Raster?
              Looking for information about terminal servers

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Sat, 23 Apr 88 15:53:24 EDT
From:    shenkin at cubsun.bio.columbia.edu (Peter Shenkin)
Subject: Re: Sun & VAX/VMS Decnet mail communication

In case this is helpful, we have both Suns and VAX/VMS machines, and we
have Sun's Decnet support ("Sunlink DNI").  The first release is better
than nothing, but is a crummy package.  It doesn't support mail
communication to/from VMS, and it doesn't support Decserver access.  All
it supports is remote login and file copying, and at least the former is
very buggy;  for example, when the Sun is the host and one is
remote-logged-in to the VMS machine, VMS history substitution editing does
not work.

We've looked into ways for these machines to communicate, but it doesn't
appear that there's anything better at the moment.  (For mail, of course,
if both machines know how to talk to BITNET....)

Peter S. Shenkin,    Department of Biological Sciences,    Columbia University,
New York, NY   10027         Tel: (212) 280-5517 (work);  (212) 829-5363 (home)
shenkin at cubsun.bio.columbia.edu    shenkin%cubsun.bio.columbia.edu at cuvma.BITNET