Sun-Spots Digest, v6n70

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Thu May 5 01:53:22 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST           Tuesday, 3 May 1988         Volume 6 : Issue 70

Today's Topics:
                           Re: mail from uuxqt
                           New Calculator Tool
                       Kerberos documents available
                  Magic Number for running Diag on 4/110
                 Experience with New LaserWriter II NTX?
                         CPC TAPEMASTER on Sun-4?
                  4/110 vs. 3/60 which would you choose?
                Image Aquisition, Processing, and Display?
                       Eight inch removable drives?
          How do you unmap, then re-map, a big chunk of memory?
            Need info about Systech Unplug and similar devices
      Looking for users of NFS (or similar things) for PCs and Macs
                       Looking for great CASE tool

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    23 Apr 88 00:13:20 GMT
From:    tekbspa!tss!joe at uunet.uu.net (Joe Angelo)
Subject: Re: mail from uuxqt

brad at cayman.cayman.com, in Sun-spots vol6no57 writes...
> I'm on a 3/50 with SUNOS 3.2. Every night root gets mail from uuxqt as...

The problem might be that you have a stray or bad X.* file in
/usr/lib/uucp. Being used to 4.2 UUCP, when I first setup UUCP here, I
created a directory named "X." in the formentioned directory.  WHENEVER
uuxqt [BTW: uuxqt is started by uucp and uucico] ran, it would scan this
directory as a file and see lots of binary data when it was expecting the
``text'' of a remote XQT request.  Since reading of control characters
usually ends up in a NULL string, uuxqt gets confused and considers a NULL
command an error; uuxqt then mails a message to root -and/or- the starter
of uuxqt, not sure which.

When your UUCP queue is clear, remove any X.* files and directories from
/usr/spool/uucp.  The directories that exists here are C., D.$host, and
D.$hostX; all owned and writeable by the same account uuxqt/uucico are
setuid to (uucp).

Joe Angelo -- Senior Systems Engineer/Systems Manager
at Teknekron Software Systems, Palo Alto 415-325-1025

uunet!tekbspa!joe -OR- tekbspa!joe at uunet.uu.net