Sun-Spots Digest, v6n86

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Sun May 15 11:32:18 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST           Friday, 13 May 1988         Volume 6 : Issue 86

Today's Topics:
                             OS4.0 experience
                 File system reorganization under 4.0 (5)
                         Re: SunOS 4.0 "features"
                             Re: SLIP for Sun

This issue is almost entirely dedicated to messages about SunOS 4.0.

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Wed, 11 May 88 08:59:37 CDT
From:    edsr!neptune!jcn at texsun.UUCP (Jim Niemann)
Subject: OS4.0 experience

We have been a beta site for OS4.0 for 3 months, but now that we are one
of the first customers to have received the FCS version, I can comment.

1)  /usr/spool and /usr/adm were not moved to /etc.  Sun created
	a new directory called /var where high volume files reside.
	neptune 37) ls /var
	adm       crash     log       preserve  spool     tmp       yp

	The idea being that /var can be a seperate partition.

1.5)  Copies of hostname, ifconfig, init, mount, and sh reside in /single.
      They also reside in /usr/bin, so there is no need to change paths.

2)  The goal was to move all executables out of anyplace that was not
    in the /usr directory structure, to make administration of providing
    executables to clients easier.  As a systems administrator, I like
    it much better, because all clients dont their own private copy anymore.
    (Saves disk space).

3)  It is true, ND is gone.  But there are a lot of new directories on
	servers.  /export/exec is where the /usr partitions for hetergenous
	clients are placed. This machine is a sun4 serving both sun3 and sun4
    clients.
    edsr 27) ls -als /export/exec
       2 drwxr-xr-x 38 root         2048 Apr 28 13:14 sun3
       1 lrwxrwxrwx  1 root            4 Jan 20 22:07 sun4 -> /usr

	/export/root is the directory where clients root file system reside
    /export/swap is the directory where clients swap files reside.

    Even though you can really but clients swap spaces anywhere, SUN
    recommends them in a seperate disk partition (so they can be
    excluded easily from backup procedures).

	/home is SUNs new standard for user work space.

4)  SUN did attempt to move most files that require configuration to
    /etc.  (/usr/lib/aliases and /usr/lib/sendmail.cf both have moved
    to /etc).  uucp control file (L.sys, etc) have moved to /var/spool/uucp/sys.
    (Unfortunately, they forgot to tell beta sites, I hope this move got
    into the documentation).

5)  /etc/servers changed to /etc/inetd.conf

6)  The maximum number of fds have been expanded to 64.  Special macros are
    required to manipulate them.  Old source still works, unless you
    reference some old suntool structures that have converted to use the new
    FD_SET stuff.

7)  Shared libraries live.  Binaries are much smaller, especially the windowing
    system libraries.  Example:
     A program that uses sunview, has 4 panels bunches of buttons, when
     linked statically is   1097728 bytes.  When linked with shared
     libraries, it is 106496.

    Ah, but you get nothing for free.  Administration is more difficult.
    Now you have to insure that the proper version of the shared library
    exist.  Sun has introduced a two tier version system for shared
    libraries.  Currently SUN distributes these libraries as shared:

       libc.so.1.1
       libkvm.so.0.2
       libpixrect.so.2.2
       libsuntool.so.0.28
       libsunwindow.so.0.25

    That first number after the 'so' is the major version number.  It must
    be the same as when the binary was linked, or the binary will not run.
    The second number is a version control.  The theory is that the major
    version number should change when any interface to routines change.

    When upgrading between releases, save the old version of the .so
    libraries.  It you (after upgrading) install them in /usr/lib and run
    ldconfig, old applications will work.  (In the beta distribution, libc
    was libc.so.0.7 (ARG!)).

All in all, we have been quite pleased with OS4.0. But it is a major
change for all system administrators. (A change for the better I think).
It will definitely take some getting used to.