Sun-Spots Digest, v6n85

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Sun May 15 11:32:18 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST           Friday, 13 May 1988         Volume 6 : Issue 85

Today's Topics:
           Re: X11 & suntools on a Sun 3/60C (multiple screens)
                        Re: Sun 100U Video Problem
                  Impressions of the LaserWriter II NTX
               printing tex dvi files on a sun laserwriter
                         Enhancements to suntools
                           bug in f2p and f2ps
                      identifying suntools -- I lied
                           Looking for Sun APL
                 Recommendations for dot matrix printers?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Tue, 10 May 88 15:12:03 PDT
From:    Gumby <salzman at bytor.rdl.com>
Subject: Re: X11 & suntools on a Sun 3/60C (multiple screens)

OK, got the answer!! Thanks to those who replied. Basically what I've
found out is that the documentation is WRONG! I negelected to mention in
the posting that I had tried what the man pages said, and it didn't work!
Many people replied telling me to read the man pages....

And I quote the man page from suntools (SunOS 3.5):

     1.   Invoke suntools in the color  plane  group  by  running
          ``suntools   -8bit_color_only  -toggle_enable''.   This
          starts suntools  on  the  default  frame  buffer  named
          /dev/fb but limits access to the color plane group.

[this is ok]

     2.   In  a  shelltool,   run   ``suntools   -d   /dev/bwtwo0
          -toggle_enable  -n  &''.   This  starts suntools in the
          overlay plane that is accessed by /dev/bwtwo0.

[WRONG, not on a 3/60C, maybe on a 3/110!. You need to use
 /dev/bwtwo1 not /dev/bwtwo0].

     3.   In a shelltool  run  ``adjacentscreens  -c  /dev/fb  -l
          /dev/bwtwo0''. ...

[again /dev/bwtwo1].

What I've found out about frame buffers is this (and maybe I should've
been paying more attention to this stuff in earlier discussions):

/dev/bwtwo0	- b/w frame buffer. this doesn't work unless you go
		  ahead and get a second monitor and (possibly) pop
		  some chips into the board

/dev/bwtwo1	- overlay plane frame buffer. this is the  one to use
		  for doing the dual screen stuff.

/dev/cgfour0	- 8-bit color

/dev/fb		- defailt fb (virtual frame buffer, both overlay and
		  color from what I gather).

Now as far as using this with X11:

You can use this with X11, but not directly. Lets say you've started
suntools with
   % suntools -8bit_color_only -toggle_enable

You can't just run
   % xinit -- Xsun -dev /dev/bwtwo1

Xsun is buggy and that comes back with an error (can't find display or
something). The way to do it is to start another suntools desktop:
   % suntools -d /dev/bwtwo1 -toggle_enable -n &

from shelltool in your first desktop and then
   % adjacentscreens -c /dev/fb -l /dev/bwtwo1

and from a shelltool in the OTHER desktop

   % setenv XDEVICE /dev/bwtwo1
   % overview -w xinit -- Xsun [other options] >& x.out

To make it even easier, use a shell script to start X and call it from
a file like ".suntools.x11" and start the second suntools with
   % suntools -d /dev/bwtwo1 -toggle_enable -s ~/.suntools.x11

I've got all this stuff set up from my suntools rootmenu so I can start X,
NeWS or another suntools with adjacentscreens with the click of a mouse
button! Fun stuff!!

* Isaac Salzman - Sr. Systems Analyst
* Research & Development Labs (RDL)
* 5721 W. Slauson Ave., Culver City, CA. 90230-6509
* AT&T: +1 213 410 1244, x118
* ARPA: salzman at rdlvax.RDL.COM
* UUCP: ...!{psivax,csun,sdcrdcf,ttidca}!rdlvax!salzman