Sun-Spots Digest, v6n80

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Thu May 12 05:24:45 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST          Tuesday, 10 May 1988         Volume 6 : Issue 80

Today's Topics:
               Re: Format for byte encoded rasterfiles (4)
                      Re: My favorite shell file (2)
                     Re: Sun4/110 memory information
              Re: deskside Suns and acceptable noise levels
                     LA SUG meeting May 13 at Caltech
            displaying 8-bit characters on shelltool and xterm
                    MAXUSERS > 12 in SunOS 3.2 and 3.4
               Rock and a hard place:  unconditioned power
                            problems with uucp
               Need help with Adaptec/Maxtor Configuration

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Thu, 5 May 88 9:41:42 PDT
From:    Steve Putz <Putz.pa at xerox.com>
Subject: Re: Format for byte encoded rasterfiles (1)
Reference: v6n71

By looking at files produced by "screendump", it appears that the
run-length encoding for type 2 Sun rasterfiles is as follows:

	Each scan-line is run-encoded separately (runs do not cross scan lines).
	Runs of count consecutive bytes are encoded as <128> <count> <byte>.
	Actual 128 bytes are encoded as <128> <0>.

The above plus rasterfile.h should be enough to figure out the exact
format.  The only programs I have for reading and writing this format are
written in Smalltalk-80.  I will make them available if there is interest.

Steve Putz
Xerox Palo Alto Research Center
Putz.pa at Xerox.com