Server capacity questions

Allan Kobelansky kobelan%bnrmtl.UUCP at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
Wed Nov 23 03:31:28 AEST 1988

Consider the following scenario:

Server: Sun 3/280 with 32 Mbytes of core
        2 800 Mb Disks (possibly 3)
	Qty: 1

Workstations: Sun 3/60 with 8Mb of core
	      Diskless
	      Qty: 26 - 30

Is such a configuration possible? My guess is that half the workstations
should be placed on one ethernet sub-net and the other workstations on
another sub-net. The server can already handle 15 diskless workstations
confortably with 1 800 Mb disk. Am I wrong to assume that adding one or
two additional disks will allow me to maintain current performance levels?

Will the ethernet get overloaded with 30 diskless workstations?  What
about adding shoebox disks to be used for swapping for each diskless.

I realize that the number of possible architectures is countably infinite
but any input about installed architectures resembling the proposed setup
would be appreciated. Needless to say, alternate configurations based on
3/60's would be werlcome. I'll post replies if the moderator approves.

Allan Kobelansky

bnrmtl!kobelan at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

mcgill-vision!bnrmtl!kobelan