SCSI or SMD?

Wayne B Cripps wbc at sunapee.dartmouth.edu
Tue Nov 29 16:53:34 AEST 1988

At the C.D. department here at Dartmouth, we have 18 sun 3/50 clients
running off of a sun 3/280 server.  I would like to get another disk, a
large one, like a gigabyte or so.  We have smd disks now, but there seem
to be scsi disks available for less money.  Would they be as fast for nfs
serving (including nfs swapping under Sun OS 4.0)  I will be installing a
xylogics 753 which should let multiple disks seek at the same time - does
this happen with any scsi controllers?  Seek time seems to be a bottle-
neck right now.  If there is interest, I will summarize my findings.

	Wayne Cripps
	Sys Adm, Math and CS Dept, Dartmouth College
	wbc at maxlin.dartmouth.edu, (603) 646-3198