SMD-4 vs. 753/754?

Jiri Dvorak dvorak at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Nov 29 17:13:39 AEST 1988

Recently, I tried to get an offer from our local Sun dealer for a 892 Disk
with a xy753/7053. The answer I got was that Sun does not sell any
753/7053. Instead, he offered a just newly announced controller SMD-4,
which should be twice as fast as a 451 and can handle 4 disks.  But the
SMD-4 can be installed only in SunOS 4.0 systems (he said).

Two questions:
- is 'SMD-4' just Sun's name for the 7053 or is it really different?
- has anybody successfully installed a SMD-4 in a 3.5 server? (and if
  yes, how?)

thanks,
Jiri Dvorak                  dvorak at iam.unibe.ch   or
Institute for Informatics    dvorak%iam.unibe.ch at relay.cs.net
University of Berne          UUCP: ..!uunet!mcvax!iam.unibe.ch!dvorak
Switzerland