Sun-Spots Digest, v7n8

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at Rice.edu
Wed Nov 9 03:15:16 AEST 1988

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Mon, 31 Oct 88 9:39 GMT
From:    Piete Brooks <pb%computer-lab.cambridge.ac.uk at nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: DELNI collisions (was: SLOW Boot on diskless Suns)
Reference: v6n277

Two quickies and a real message.

1) ukc sent me a message saying that they had noticed & fixed the problem.
2) "Cure for the Summertime Blues?" this has been thrashed out in the UK list
3) Main one follows ....

[ % = original, > = reply, * = my comment, $ = my guru ]

% Appearently there is enough shared logic in the DELNI that trying to
% rapidly pump large amounts of data between two ports results in a large
% number of 'collisions' being reported.  (Can anyone confirm/deny this?)
% When we put the two machines on seperate DELNIs that where connected by
% coax the file transfer rates were much closer to the rates we saw when the
% machines themselves were directly on the coax.

> I'm no expert, but this doesn't sound right.  We had a similar problem and
> found the _real_ cause of these "pseudo-collisions" was Ethernet version
> mismatches.  We thought we could just insert a DELNI between an old
> Interlan board and its transceiver.  No way since that hardware was
> version 1 and the DELNI is (sort-of) version 2.  We saw a _lot_ of
> collisions when sending thru the Interlan, e.g. average of 1.5 collisions
> per packet sent!  Attaching the DELNI to the backbone with its own
> transceiver and re-connecting the old hardware fixed that.  Now I can send
> gobs of packets from one port of the DELNI to the other without seeing a
> _single_ collision when our net is lightly loaded.

* Nor am I an expert, but our local guru muttered something about heartbeat.
* It turns out that the above fix is suitable ....

$ There is a grain of truth in this, but there is some confusion.
$ There are two potential problems with the DELNI that I know of:
$
$ - it insists on sending the "heartbeat" signal (feature)
$ - the heartbeat is signalled on all 8 ports, not just the one which
$   transmitted (bug)
$
$ Because of the bug, you will see many more collisions when you are on
$ a DELNI port - there will be one for every successful transmission by
$ somebody else on the same DELNI. But they aren't "real" collisions.
$
$ I presume that what is happening is that these "pseudo-collisions" are
$ in some way upsetting the Sun's Ethernet access logic. Maybe it goes dead
$ for some fixed period after seeing a collision, or something like that.