stopping textsw scrolling?

David Fickes berlin%bu-albert.BU.EDU at bu-it.bu.edu
Wed Nov 30 02:17:03 AEST 1988

We are building a database i/o tool under Sunview (using RTI Ingres)
Currently we use texsw_insert into a textsw to handle output and it works
well except for ONE small item.

1. I don't want the textsw to scroll automatically.  It should be
   controlled by the user ONLY.  I would prefer a systems such as cmdtool
   where the insertion of data seems to be independant of the window
   commands.  Here is the original window create definition.

output_textsw0 = window_create(output_frame, TEXTSW,
        WIN_WIDTH, 570,
        WIN_HEIGHT, 600,
        TEXTSW_FILE,file_load,
        TEXTSW_AUTO_SCROLL_BY,0,
        TEXTSW_AGAIN_RECORDING,FALSE,
        TEXTSW_IGNORE_LIMIT,TEXTSW_INFINITY,
        TEXTSW_INSERT_MAKES_VISIBLE,TEXTSW_NEVER,
        0);

Another related item is the window refresh.  I am using a database
retrieve loop that retrieves an item and then textsw_insert ('s) it into
the output window.  I am not sure if I should fork() the retrieve loop in
order to have the frame update.  (The reason for this is to allow our
users to close the window and/or work with other overlapping windows
without cluttering a section of the screen with unrefreshed garbage).

I am currently using the window_main_loop(base_frame0); sequence since
there seemed to have been some problems with the notify_dispatch().

Incidentally, I did manage to fork the retrieve and the (output to the
textsw) process which works EXCEPT that closing the window (or other
accelerator items) would cause the following problem:

Window display lock broken because process 1035 blocked

and the data would stop flowing to the window....

any help would be appreciated... source code for the whole business is
available on request.

- david

David K. Fickes				            dfickes at bu-albert.bu.edu
The Collected Papers of Albert Einstein    ...harvard!bu-it!bu-albert!dfickes
Boston University                                         berlin at buita.bu.edu
745 Commonwealth Avenue - room 541		617/ 353-9249
Boston, MA 02215  				617/ 783-4301