Sun-Spots Digest, v7n9

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at Rice.edu
Wed Nov 9 14:00:19 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST         Tuesday, 8 November 1988       Volume 7 : Issue 9

Today's Topics:
                    Re: single user while dumping (2)
                         Re: UUCP, bug or feature
                            Re: SunOS 4.0 dump
                Re: Algebraic Calctool with Trig Functions
               Re: detecting the use of fpa in executables
                 Re: Remote booting a Sun 3/280--failure
                          little bug in Fig 1.4
                             calculator tools
                              Exabyte Drive
                    NEC-890 PostScript printer for Sun
                        Callback for getty wanted
          Tape mark (EOF) skipping problem with 1/4-inch tapes
                      Help! with RLL controllers...

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Tue, 1 Nov 88 10:21:50 PST
From:    rodgers at maxwell.mmwb.ucsf.edu
Subject: Re: single user while dumping (1)

In v6n279, Jay Albert writes:

> The manuals all seem to say that you "should" be in single-user mode while
> making dumps, especially level 0 dumps. I have made some level 0's while
> in multi-user mode, with a handfull of people on (over several hours).

I wouldn't worry.  Many responsibly managed sites do ONLY "live" (i.e.,
multi-user) dumps.  The party line (and the word from Sun software
engineers) is that this is perfectly OK, although files active at the time
of the dump may not be retrieveable later by the restore command.  This is
why, STRICTLY speaking, one should be in single-user mode for a level 0
dump.  What is unclear to me at present is whether such files will or will
not be picked up by subsequent level 1-9 dumps (if, for example, a user is
editing a file during the level 0 dump session, and exits shortly after
the dump ends).  We have had to rebuild our disk on several occasions
using such dumps and have never encountered a serious problem.  If the
dump is done in the wee hours, the potential file loss is generally a
small price to pay for the convenience of not having to shut down.

R. P. C. Rodgers, M.D.                  Telephone:
Statistical Mechanics of Biomolecules   (415)476-8910 (work)
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry  (415)664-0560 (home)
University of California, Box 1204      E-mail:
Laurel Heights Campus, Room 102         ARPA:   rodgers at cca.ucsf.edu
3333 California St.                             rodgers at maxwell.mmwb.ucsf.edu
San Francisco CA 94118                  BITNET: rodgers at ucsfcca
USA                                     UUCP:
                                     ...ucbvax.berkeley.edu!cca.ucsf.edu!rodgers