Sun-Spots Digest, v7n2

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at Rice.edu
Fri Nov 4 01:16:42 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST        Wednesday, 2 November 1988      Volume 7 : Issue 2

Today's Topics:
                         Re: graphics on the Sun
              Re: Portmap, Gateway problems under SunOS 3.5
                        Re: Multi-user SUN enquiry
                      Re: Clearpoint memory on 3/110
                    word processing on Sun: FrameMaker
                      dvipage crashes on SUN 4/110's
                  Want to install 3rd party disk in 386i
               Extra memory board in a 3/160 causes trouble
                Help needed with very simple device driver
       request for feedback on Harris/Lanier serial board for 386i
                SUN 386i dos windows problem, and fortran
            Termcap problems with Gmacs 18.50 and SunView 3.5?
                      Sun raster -> MacPaint filter?
                   PC-NFS printer-redirection problem?
            SunOS 4.0 'st' driver with Exabyte 8mm tape drive?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Wed, 26 Oct 88 10:01:31 PDT
From:    rodgers at maxwell.mmwb.ucsf.edu
Subject: Re: graphics on the Sun

Reply to an earlier article (sorry, lost the full reference)...

Kristian,

Here is some information which I hope will help, regarding your net query.
We use <PLOT79> for general scientific line graphics.  It is FORTRAN
based, and very portable (running on virtually all major OSs).  The price
paid for the portability is that it takes little advantage of hardware
specifics (mice, etc.) so those obsessed with being "state of the art"
tend to thumb their noses at it; we find it very useful and do essetnially
ALL of our graphics using it (including contour maps, 2- and 3-D line
plots, pie charts, and histograms).  It also supports about 40-50 output
devices, including HPGL, PostScript, and Tektronix.  Also, there is quite
of bit of graphics built into systems like S (the AT&T statistical
package, which we can highly recommend), Macsyma, and Mathematica (both
symbolic mathematics packages, which run on a variety of machines
including the Sun).  S and Mathematica take advantage of PostScript.  To
inquire about <PLOT79>, contact:

   Nelson H. F. Beebe, Ph.D.
   Center for Scientific Computing
   South Physics Building
   University of Utah
   Salt Lake City, UT 84112
   (801) 581-5254,5257
   ARPAnet:beebe at science.utah.edu

To find out about S, call (800)828-UNIX; to find out about Mathematica,
call Wolfram Associates (I don't have their number; it has appeared in
other net postings, particulary the new comp.next group).

Cheerio, Rick Rodgers

R. P. C. Rodgers, M.D.                  Telephone:
Statistical Mechanics of Biomolecules   (415)476-8910 (work)
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry  (415)664-0560 (home)
University of California, Box 1204      E-mail:
Laurel Heights Campus, Room 102         ARPA:   rodgers at cca.ucsf.edu
3333 California St.                             rodgers at maxwell.mmwb.ucsf.edu
San Francisco CA 94118                  BITNET: rodgers at ucsfcca
USA                                     UUCP:
                                     ...ucbvax.berkeley.edu!cca.ucsf.edu!rodgers