more inodes on a Fuji 2382 disk

nugent%tartarus at gargoyle.uchicago.edu nugent%tartarus at gargoyle.uchicago.edu
Tue Nov 29 22:55:41 AEST 1988

I'll bet you are running SUN OS 4.0.  On a SUN OS 3.5 machine I was able
to drop the block size to 4k and the frag size to 512  (it was a news
partition) with a Fuji 2382 and a Ciprico controller.  Then, as you said,
I was able to make it 8 cyl/group and get twice the default number of
inodes.

However, in the "Read This First" notes for SUN OS 4.0, it states that the
disk block size must be => the system page size, which is 8k on the SUN 3.
I haven't looked through the source to see why this is necessary, but I
would guess that it is a byproduct of all the VM cleanup/streams
conversion that went into release 4.0.

If you have source you could double the MAXIPG=2048 inodes/cyl-group limit
in /usr/include/ufs/fs.h and recompile the necessary modules (I haven't
tried this with SUN OS 4.0, has anyone else?)

You could always put your 2382 disk on a SUN-2 which has a 2k page size.
;-)

Todd Nugent
University of Chicago CS dept.