Starting Sunview in SunOS 4.0

Peter Wetzel unido!iaoobel!wetzel at infix.iao.fhg
Thu Nov 10 18:21:24 AEST 1988

> I am attempting to start a program up in my .sunview file which needs a
> parameter with embedded blanks.  For instance, it might look like:
> less '-P%f Hit return to continue' myfile

I don't know .sunview files but perhaps you mean .suntools. I had the same
trouble and worked around it by using a csh-script which is loaded in
.suntools:

.suntools:
shelltool -Wi -WL STARTUP -C sunstart

This sunstart-script does an additional job in finding out the right
screensize and then sources the start commands for the tools to be
displayed:

#! /bin/csh
#
# start up of suntool environment, allowing use of csh-features
# don't forget to use background processes!
#
if (`eeprom -i scrsize` =~ "scrsize=1600x1280") then
	source ${HOME}/.suntools-large
else
	source ${HOME}/.suntools-small
endif
#
echo 'This process will end in 30 seconds'
sleep 30
#

An additional feature is the use of environment variables in the start
commands. Pay attention that you have to background all processes with &.

romeo (Peter Wetzel),    (UUCP) ...unido!iaoobel!wetzel
                         Fraunhofer Institute IAO, Stuttgart