Gouraud Shading + 3D Modelling?

Ephraim Silverberg ephraim at TECHUNIX.BITNET
Wed Nov 23 15:22:26 AEST 1988

I need to write an application that requires extensive 3D manipulation of
Gouraud-shaded objects and has to have a user-friendly interface.  From
what I can see, I need to use the Sunview canvases to get the necessary
buttons and panels.

The problem is the graphics package.  From what I can see, I have two options:

        1) Suncore
                + 3D primitives
                + Gouraud shading
                - 3D primitives primitive ...
                - does not interface well with Sunview:
                  anything requiring Gouraud shading runs
                  out of memory
                - buggy, rumoured Sun will drop support of
                  suncore in coming releases
        2) SunPHIGS
                + excellent 3D primitives
                + decent interface with Sunview
                - NO Gouraud shading :-( :-( :-(

Are there any other options?  Have I overlooked something?  Please reply
by E-MAIL and I will summarise in two weeks time.

Ephraim Silverberg,
Faculty of Biomedical Engineering,
Israel Institute of Technology,
Haifa, Israel.

BITNET  :        ephraim at techunix
ARPANET :        ephraim%techunix.bitnet at cunyvm.cuny.edu
CSNET   :        ephraim%techunix.bitnet at csnet-relay.csnet
UUCP    :        {uunet!eplrx7,allegra,rutgers}!psuvax1!techunix.bitnet!ephraim