Running Suns with no keyboard but using both rs232?

mcvax!cs.aber.ac.uk!dap at uunet.uu.net mcvax!cs.aber.ac.uk!dap at uunet.uu.net
Wed Nov 23 15:01:57 AEST 1988

We are trying to run several SUNs (3/160 3/260 3/60) as servers, without
screen and keyboard but WITH both rs232 ports in use. Generally the rs232s
feed printers, but in one case it feeds SUNLINK X25.  Booting the machines
causes problems.....  We need it to work unattended, so that they reboot
ok after powerfails etc without staff on duty. In any case, after dumping
the machines we want them to reboot on their own.

The situation is not totally consistent.

If the machines do not have a keyboard, they look to ttya for console (so
say the documents) input .  We want to stop them. The observed fault is
that they apparently boot (light patterns all ok etc) but no matter how
long you wait they never properly come on service...

We can find no way of changing the EEPROM to say YOU HAVE NO CONSOLE at
all, and dont you dare look at the rs232 lines...

Any ideas folks...
Dave Price
--
UUCP : { ENGLAND or WALES }!ukc!aber-cs!dap
JANET: dap at uk.ac.aber.cs           PHONE:    +44 970 623111 x 3164