mti + 4.0 + sparc = problems?

Ed Arnold era at scdpyr.ucar.edu
Wed Nov 23 13:41:03 AEST 1988

We recently upgraded a 3/280 running 3.5 to a 4/280 running 4.0.  The
hardware includes two of the Systech MTI serial port devices (mti0, mti1
in the config file).  Before and after the upgrade, the 32 serial ports
were hooked to a Gandalf PACX terminal switch, and we had had no problems
with serial ports while running 3.x.

As soon as the upgrade had been completed, it was obvious we had serious
problems.  The console was cluttered with "getty failing, sleeping"
messages, and the system would crash every 1 to 2 hours.  Sun supplied us
with something called the "general tty patch" (we were told that it's not
on the 4.0.1 tape), and this seemed to fix the worst of the problems.  At
least, the system no longer crashed every 1-2 hours.

However, we're still having some problems.  The console is now cluttered
with "getty: /dev/ttyXX: I/O error" messages, and the system still crashes
occasionally with a data fault in getty.  There is some evidence that some
of the ports go into limbo, and users trying to login experience
occasional weirdnesses.  (We are running getty with the new "Auto-baud"
clause that's in the 4.0 gettytab.)

Is there anyone out there with a similar configuration who has experienced
these problems?  If so, please e-mail me, I'd like to discuss what you've
found out about this.

Ed Arnold * NCAR (Nat'l Center for Atmospheric Research) * Mesa Lab
PO Box 3000 * Boulder, CO  80307-3000 * 303-497-1253
era at ncar.ucar.edu [128.117.64.4] * {ames,gatech,noao,...}!ncar!era