Sun-Spots Digest, v6n273

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at Rice.edu
Tue Oct 25 15:09:33 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST         Monday, 24 October 1988      Volume 6 : Issue 273

Today's Topics:
                       Re: UUCP, bug or feature (3)
          Re: netstat -r is broken with sub-netted Class B nets
                             Re: ftp problem
                           Re: srecs from a.out
                      Re: SunOS 4.0 Suntools speedup
                    Re: multiple NFS mounts under 4.0
                                 Re: NeXT
                       Bitnet mangles source files
                  Remote booting a Sun-3/280 -- failure!
                        NFS file inconsistency bug
                   Dvi previewer to run under suntools?
                   Frame Maker to (di)troff translator?
                   detecting use of fpa in executables?
                         TTY Windows in Sunview?
                              PD DATABASES?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Thu, 20 Oct 88 22:26:32 EDT
From:    Preston Mullen <mullen at css.nrl.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: UUCP, bug or feature (1)
Reference: v6n266

To get around uucp's setting the modem's autoanswer bit, patch the dial
string in /usr/lib/uucp/uucico using adb, GNU emacs, or even textedit (if
you then use something else to delete the newline textedit adds at the
end).

	ATV0Q0E0S0=1S2=255S12=255
		   ^
            change 1 to 0

You can likewise patch tip.  Adding the S0=0 to the phone number in
/etc/remote works fine for tip unless you want to exploit /etc/phones by
putting a "@" in the pn string: the "@" isn't recognized as special if
there is other stuff in the pn string.

On Gould systems running UTX 2.0, you can specify the interaction of tip
and uucp with the modem in /etc/modcap (analogous to termcap).  This
supposedly lets you adapt tip and uucp to just about any modem.
Presumably, other systems have something like this too; I wonder why SunOS
doesn't.