Sun-Spots Digest, v6n272

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at Rice.edu
Tue Oct 25 14:37:11 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST         Monday, 24 October 1988      Volume 6 : Issue 272

Today's Topics:
                             Re: nd question
                         Re: Hard vs Soft Mounts
                        Re: Encoding ASCII Files
                          Re: ispell and "emacs"
                        Re: Line drawing programs
                     Re: SunOS 4.0 Suntools speedup
                           Proxyarpd: release 2
                         SUN PCNFS & Micom NI5210
                            TAAC mailing list
                Dist'n format for the 386i: tape vs. disk
                       SunOS 4.0 netstat brokenness
                   Problems with pc/nfs + IBM worm disk
                        88k for Sun 3/4 any news?
                            What is autocall?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Wed, 19 Oct 88 14:53:12 PDT
From:    pixar!r2d2!dv at sun.com
Subject: Re: nd question

> From:    Bennett Todd <bet at bent.mc.duke.edu>
>
> As far as I know, under SunOS 3.x there is no way to overlap use of the
> disk between nd and normal partitions. You will have to repartition the
> disk.

No, you don't have to repartition.  While you can't have a normal (non-nd)
filesystem anywhere but the beginning of a partition (so it wouldn't be
possible to have nd stuff at the beginning, and the non-nd stuff
afterwards), there's nothing saying that the normal filesystem has to take
up the whole partition.  If you use newfs to create the filesystem, then
it will, as newfs figures out how big the partition is, and uses that as
the size.  However, if you use mkfs, and give it a size smaller than the
partition, you can use the remainder  of the partition for nd.

This is in fact what I did here (a Sun2/170 running 3.4, with 2 clients
(okay, all you sun 3'ers can stop groaning, and ship me a sun 3 :-)).
Here's a sample comment from my /etc/nd.local:

# 0                 64400  74520    94760 104880    125120 135240       165600
# |                    |     |         |     |         |     |             |
# |<---    64400   --->|10120|<-20240->|10120|<-20240->|10120|<-- 30360 -->|
# |                    |     |         |     |         |     |             |
# |                    |     |         |     |         |wood-|             |
# |    Spare area      |ducky| ducky   |jedi | jedi    |stock| (woodstock) |
# |    Can either      |root | swap    |root | swap    |root |  swap       |
# |    be mkfs'ed      |  UNUSED       |     |         |     |             |
# |    locally or      |     |         |     |         |     |             |
# |    via 'nd'        |     |         |     |         |     |             |
# |                                    |     |         |     |             |
# |                                    |     |         |     |             |
# |      Currently used for accell     |     |         |     |             |
# |                                    |     |         |     |             |
#

The first part of it is a normal filesystem (/dev/xy0g), which was created
with:  mkfs /dev/rxy0g 64400  The rest was created via /dev/ndl*

The most important part about doing any change like this is to *PLAN
AHEAD*.  Create some diagram like this, so you know exactly how big each
partition is, and where it starts.

Name:		David Vezie	| Voice:	"Hey, Dave"
Address:	pixar!lfl!dv	| Phone:	(415) 662-1885
Company:	Lucasfilm Ltd.	| Fax:		(415) 662-2186