Sun-Spots Digest, v6n269

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at Rice.edu
Mon Oct 24 02:16:24 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST         Friday, 21 October 1988      Volume 6 : Issue 269

Today's Topics:
        Re: How many clients on a 3/60 (also configuration advice)
             Re: Popping up an independent window in SunView
                      Re: text: table full messages
                        Re: Some Benchmark Results
                             Re: nd question
                       Re: .cshrc and $?prompt (2)
                    moving /dev/zero for ftpd to work
                           C preprocessor Bugs
                       Suns and projection systems
                   NFS server vegetable not responding
                    LaTeX and TeX environment on Suns?
                         communication with IBM?
                      Nominating board of directors?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    17 Oct 88 20:35 GMT+0100
From:    Michael Stumpf <stumpf at cogsys.psychologie.uni-freiburg.dbp.de>
Subject: Re: How many clients on a 3/60 (also configuration advice)

We are running a very small initial configuration consisting of a 3/60
(327MB) and two diskless 3/50 (SunOS 3.5). Our experience is that the
"server" has a quite heavy load, even if the clients are running programs
which do not use the disk directly. But most of our applications (e.g.
QuintusProlog, FrameMaker, ...) force the clients to page all the time and
the server becomes very slow. In fact, if the clients are running such
programs, it is very uncomfortable to work at the server's console screen
(the mouse is responding to the third click only). Maybe the situation is
better if you do not make use of the graphics, maybe just number crunching
does not force paging in this way. In our configuration, clearly the disk
drive is the point (at the moment, the 3/60 has got only 4MB memory, which
is to be expanded to 12MB in the next weeks), but I recommend also at
least 12 to 16 MB memory.  The disk drive itself is as loud as the cpu - I
won't like to have them in my room without some special arrangements.  We
decided to put most of the cpus and disks (we will have two additional
3/60s with 327 disks in some days) into a special room. In the two rooms
beside of this rooms the screens, keyboards and mouses are placed. At the
moment, our df looks like this:

/dev/sd0a               7608    3461    3386    51%    /
/dev/sd0f               4897    4240     167    96%    /pub.MC68020
/dev/sd0h             139342  119214    6193    95%    /usr.MC68020
/dev/sd0d              52836   18273   29279    38%    /usr.MC68020/psisun1,

that is, there are only 30MB left - and there are only 53MB max. for the
ordinary users (clients have 16.5MB swap - I recommend at least 20MB, the
server has 50.4MB, which seems to be sufficient also for LISP.

Michael.