Sun-Spots Digest, v6n268

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at Rice.edu
Sun Oct 23 00:14:42 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST         Friday, 21 October 1988      Volume 6 : Issue 268

Today's Topics:
                            Re: NFS mount mail
                        RE: C/A/T troff to ditroff
              Re: Large screen display for SUN video output
                     Bug in Contool 2.0 (with patch)
                             wierd NFS hangup
                        Portmap, Gateway problems
                           learn for Sun 3/260?
                   color hardcopy of Sun screen - how?
                   news reader for sunview, news or x?
                          Experience with "NSE"?
                      PostScript printers for Suns?
                          locking down systems?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Mon, 17 Oct 88 14:31:19 EDT
From:    beck at svax.cs.cornell.edu (Micah Beck)
Subject: Re: NFS mount mail

In Sun-Spots v6n258, two notes (from white at cs.unc.edu and Wayne Folta)
offered solutions to the problem of reading mail from a Sun client.  Both
solutions involved directing all mail to one server which delivers it to
an exported directory.  Clients then mount that directory and read mail
from it.

I am nervous about doing this because I know that the semantics of
concurrent access to NFS files is different from that of uniprocessor
Unix.  I also know that mail programs tend to rely heavily on the
semantics of concurrent access.  Of particular concern are non-atomic
actions like deleting a file and rewriting it.

Can anyone out there provide an authoritative answer: is it safe to read
mail using NFS in this fashion?  Is there a potential problem when mail is
read while new mail is delivered?  In the meantime, I read my mail on an
overloaded central Vax, while sitting at a Sun-3/60!

Micah Beck			beck at cs.cornell.edu
Dept of Computer Science
Cornell University