Sun-Spots Digest, v6n265

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at Rice.edu
Fri Oct 21 03:08:03 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST        Wednesday, 19 October 1988    Volume 6 : Issue 265

Today's Topics:
                            Re: NFS mount mail
                     A fix for pty/suntools problems
              Sun announces price increases across the board
                      multiple NFS mounts under 4.0
            SunView questions on video retrace and color icons
                         RGB monitor for 3/150G?
                        3.4 vs 4.0 mail spooling?
            Photographic output devices connected to Sun RGB?
                        SL/IP links to SUN 4/100?
                                   NeXT

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Thu, 13 Oct 88 19:45:22 EDT
From:    dms at wheaties.ai.mit.edu (David M Siegel)
Subject: Re: NFS mount mail

> From:    Wayne Folta <folta at tove.umd.edu>
> As I remember it, we solved the problem as follows:
> 1. All users must be known to the NFS server.  For us, this was easy,
> since all users were already in the Yellow Pages passwd file.
> 2. All users are mail-aliased to reside on the NFS server.  That is,
> user 'usera' was aliased to 'usera at nfshost' in the Yellow Pages
> mail aliases file.
> 3. NFS mount the /usr/spool/mail from the NFS server to all the other
> hosts.

While this scheme works, I don't believe it is a great solution. A major
problem is that if the NFS server with the shared mail spool directory
goes down, all users on your system will hang (for saftey, the mail spool
directory must be hard mounted). Since shells typically stat the mail file
now and then, users will hang even if they are not reading their mail. In
addition, keeping the Yellow Page alias database up-to-date is a hassle.

A better solution would be for Sun to support storing mail spool file in
user home directories. The way the scheme should work is for sendmail to
forward mail to the server machine that the user's home directory is NFS
mounted from. The server machine would then invoke a modified local mail
delivery program to deliver the mail to the user's home directory.

An added benefit is that mail spool files would be included under a user's
disk quotas.