Sun-Spots Digest, v6n250

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at Rice.edu
Mon Oct 10 05:26:49 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST         Thursday, 6 October 1988     Volume 6 : Issue 250

Today's Topics:
                   Re: RPC failure in OS4.0 client boot
            Re: Serial line H/W flow control under 3.5 and 4.0
                           Re: .cshrc vs .login
                      Re: gnuemacs keyboard bindings
                      Re: Interpreting ID PROM info
                        DEC LAT daemon for the SUN
                 Crashing problems on a 3/280 running 3.5
          SunOS 4.0 /etc/printcap line for ALM-2 parallel port?
                       Formatting a CDC WrenIV/344?
       Correspondence between raw disk devices and physical layout?
                    3.2 and 3.5 NFS incompatibilities?
      Sun 3E (eurocard) compatible serial cards w/drivers for SunOs?
                             binding Fn keys?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date: Thu, 29 Sep 88 17:49:16 EDT
From: steinmetz!grymoire!barnett at uunet.uu.net (Bruce G. Barnett)
Subject: Re: RPC failure in OS4.0 client boot

>Diskless clients cannot boot
>whoami RPC call failed with status 10

I have been SCREAMING at Sun for two months about this problem.  I still
don't have a solution.

As far as I can tell, when a 4.0 client boots up, it does a broadcast RPC,
using UDP, requesting hostname, domain and route to the server.  The
broadcast is network wide (no subnet mask), so that it can go thru
subnets.

Some systems wrongly respond to this with a ICMP: "destination
unreachable".  Possible machines that might(?) cause this problem are
Ultrix 2.3 machines, or perhaps VMS machines with either Wollongong or the
Ultrix Bridge product.  (I hear DEC has a patch for Ultrix Bridge).

I may not quite understand the problem. But we have 800 machines on our
ethernet, and can't get patches to every single implementation.

We plan to install 90 new Suns soon. These will be SunOS 4.0 machines, but
we are unable to install them until we get a fix from Sun.

If you are contemplating upgrading to 4.0, you may want to think twice.

--
Bruce G. Barnett  <barnett at ge-crd.ARPA> <barnett at steinmetz.UUCP>
		uunet!steinmetz!barnett