Sun-Spots Digest, v6n251

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at Rice.edu
Mon Oct 10 12:44:56 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST         Thursday, 6 October 1988     Volume 6 : Issue 251

Today's Topics:
            Re: Rasterfile to rasterfile conversion filter (2)
              Re: Has anyone installed a CDC Wren V (620MB)
                          Re: 386i compiler bug
                        Re: Drawing system for Sun
                         Re: Mathematica for Sun
                             GNUPLOT sources
                        386i repaired & explained
                          bug in scanf under 4.0
                        sun!sunbugs vs sun!hotline
               Popping up an independent window in SunView
                       DNI Protocol Error question
                          bad user stack message
                        Problems with 3.5 and NFS?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Mon, 3 Oct 88 10:07:16 PDT
From:    david at sun.com (David DiGiacomo)
Subject: Re: Rasterfile to rasterfile conversion filter (1)
Reference: v6n244

>Since my disk space was disappearing at an alarming rate, I decided to
>convert all my rasterfile bitmaps to the compressed format.  I whipped up
>the following filter to convert Sun rasterfiles from one format to
>another....

/usr/lib/rasfilters/convert.2 will do about the same thing.  Source is
included.
--
David DiGiacomo, Sun Microsystems, Mt. View, CA  sun!david david at sun.com

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 3 Oct 88 13:09:14 PDT
From:    gandalf at csli.stanford.edu (Juergen Wagner)
Subject: Re: Rasterfile to rasterfile conversion filter (2)

Using compress(1) results in a much better compression of Sun rasterfiles.
To read compressed images you can open a pipe to uncompress(1) which
writes the uncompressed file to its stdout (basically, that's zcat(1)).

There are two utilities in /usr/lib/rasfilters, called convert.0 and
convert.2, which read RT_OLD, RT_STANDARD, RT_BYTE_ENCODED bitmaps, and
convert them to RT_STANDARD or RT_BYTE_ENCODED bitmaps.

Example (bitmap `fullmoon', 1152x900x1, the full moon on a black background with
some stars):

		Rasterfile	Rasterfile.Z
RT_STANDARD	130kB		67kB
RT_BYTE_ENCODED	 54kB		57kB

I think, that this ratio is fairly typical.

Juergen "Gandalf" Wagner,		   gandalf at csli.stanford.edu
Center for the Study of Language and Information (CSLI), Stanford CA

PS: The Sun RT_BYTE_ENCODED format is different from MacPaint file encoding.
    MacPaint uses a run-length encoding scheme which collects runs longer than
    3 into <count-1><byte>, and unencoded sequences into <count-1><data[count]>.
    Sun uses a scheme where runs longer than 3 are encoded as 80<count-1><byte>,
    and where unencoded sequences are just written as such (with the exception
    of the byte 80 which is written as 8000).