Sun-Spots Digest, v6n245

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at Rice.edu
Mon Oct 3 15:01:44 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST         Saturday, 1 October 1988     Volume 6 : Issue 245

Today's Topics:
                   Re: fcntl/lockf locking under 4.0 (2)
                           Re: vms to sun mail
                      Re: gnuemacs keyboard bindings
                Re: wiring questions (weiss and schwartz)
                  Re: Changing Shared Memory Limitations
                      Re: Interpreting ID PROM info
                   The Horrible 4/110 killing program!
               saving space in the clients' root filesystem
                      followup on csh/execve problem
                      serious bugs in 4.0 rpc.lockd
                            kermit for sun 4?
                       fileservers 4/280 vs. 3/280?
                             Termcap CX4107?
                     ALM-2 and hardware flow control?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Tue, 27 Sep 88 11:14:59 +1000
From:    Craig Bishop <munnari!lupus.cc.deakin.oz.au!craig at uunet.uu.net>
Subject: Re: fcntl/lockf locking under 4.0 (1)

We have had similar problems, Sun looked at the problem then sent us new
binaries for rpc.lockd for both our server which is a 3/280 and our client
which is a 4/110.  These should fix your problems.

Temporarily you can log on to the client then rlogin to the server kill
the rpc.lockd and rpc.statd then immediately shutdown the client and
reboot it. Things should work until either the client or the server
crashes.

It sounds wierd but it was the only way we could get it to work.

Craig Bishop    ARPA:   craig%lupus.cc.deakin.oz.au at uunet.uu.net
    		UUCP:   ...!uunet!munnari!lupus.cc.deakin.oz!craig