Sun-Spots Digest, v6n246

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at Rice.edu
Tue Oct 4 02:56:01 AEST 1988

                            CASE and Tom Gilb?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Tue, 27 Sep 88 18:29:17 PDT
From:    Paul O'Neill <pvo1478 at neptune.oce.orst.edu>
Subject: Re: How do I tell what version of SunOS is running
Reference: v6n235

This isn't as elegant as you'd like--but here's what I use in my .login:

set j = `cat /etc/motd`
if ($j[1] == "SunOS") then
	.... 4.0 stuff .....            ( $j[3] = 4.0 )
else
	..... 3.x stuff ....            ( in 3.4, $j[5] = 3.4 )
endif

Paul O'Neill                 pvo at oce.orst.edu
Coastal Imaging Lab
OSU--Oceanography
Corvallis, OR  97331         503-754-3251

[[ I think the original poster was looking for a way to tell the
difference at compile time, like you do with an "#ifdef sun".  I know
that's what I want.  --wnl ]]