AARRGGHH X11/NeWS AARRGGHH

Daniel Ehrlich ehrlich at cs.psu.edu
Thu Dec 14 06:58:20 AEST 1989

In article <3406 at brazos.Rice.edu> canon!smith at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk (Mark Smith) writes:

Mark> X-Sun-Spots-Digest: Volume 8, Issue 209, message 2 of 14

Mark> I can't stand it. Back in the summer, we saw the X11/NeWS Beta release
Mark> running at Sun here in the UK. It looked to be ready Real-Soon-Now. At the
Mark> time, we understood that FCS was expected sometime in September. Here it
Mark> is, the end of November, and we keep hearing how it's delayed here, it's
Mark> on hold in the U.S., etc. etc. Meanwhile, messages show up on the net
Mark> which suggest some people actually have it in their hands. Does anyone
Mark> know what's really happening? I'll take semi-substantiated rumours at this
Mark> point.

The only rumor that I can supply (my source is a Sun employee) is that Sun
had selected 200 sites that were to recieve the software at FCS.  Penn
State was not on this list.  We sent in our order the day after Sun
announced availability in the US.  Nothing has shown up yet.  Guess it is
time to bug my Sun sales rep. :-(

Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich at cs.psu.edu>