Floating point co-processors for Sun 3/50

Roy Smith roy at phri.nyu.edu
Fri Dec 8 17:38:32 AEST 1989

In article <3250 at brazos.Rice.edu> sa346 at city.ac.uk (Andy Lack) writes:
> 68881RC16A. I think this is the 16MHz version which is needed for a 3/50.
> Could anyone confirm if this chip (or the clock speed) is OK for the 3/50.

Yup, you want MC68881-RC16A.  To be picky, make sure you get mask A93N or
later (not a problem; I think every 68881 made within the past several
years has been A93N; earlier dies had some minor bugs).  Dig through the
old SUN-SPOTS archives to find detailed instruction I wrote up a few years
ago for ordering and installing the chips.  It's quite straight-forward.

[[Ed's Note: It took some looking, but his article is in v6n17 -bdg]]

455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy at alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"