Reading Sun 3 timer register within Kernel device driver

danzig at ucbarpa.berkeley.edu danzig at ucbarpa.berkeley.edu
Fri Dec 8 18:12:46 AEST 1989

In article <3295 at brazos.Rice.edu> you write:

>I have a problem relating to SUN OS3.5 kernel device drivers. I want to
>measure the performance of the driver by calling a routine at certain
>points in the driver which records a timer value in a buffer somewhere.
>Outside the kernel, the obvious answer is to use gettimeofday(), but this
>is no good inside the device driver.
>
>Is there a way of accessing the SUN's timer register from within the
>kernel? Is there an easier way?

Here at UCB we built a microsecond resolution timer that plugs into the
DES chip of 3/50,3/60,3/160,3/260,4/110,4/260 class systems.  You'll have
a hard time using Sun's 20 (or 10) millisecond clock to instrument device
driver code.    Contact me for the schematic or to buy a finished timer
and device driver.

Peter Danzig
danzig at ucbarpa.berkeley.edu