problems with /tmp under 4.0.3

Russ Poffenberger poffen at sj.ate.slb.com
Mon Dec 4 12:51:43 AEST 1989

In article <3331 at brazos.Rice.edu> ndd at sunbar.mc.duke.edu writes:

>We've just upgraded to 4.0.3, and we've been having a problem with /tmp
>changing mode from 777 to 775. this happens on multiple machines (3s and
>4s), and at seemingly random times, not necessarily just after a reboot.
>it does seem to only happen to machines that mount their root from a local
>disk. Has anyone seem this behaviour?  the hotline doesn't seem to know
>about it.

I have not had trouble with it just changing mode by itself, but I have
noticed with 4.0.3 that BOTH the mount point (the directory entry BEFORE
the partition is mounted) and the partition itself (after mounting) should
have the SAME file permissions, owner, and modes. I have seen WIERD things
happen when they have different modes. This may be your problem. Unmount
/tmp, and do chmod 777 /tmp, then mount it, and do chmod 777 /tmp again.

Russ Poffenberger               DOMAIN: poffen at sj.ate.slb.com
1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110
(408)437-5254