4/330 and IPI technology

weber at cg-atla.agfa.com weber at cg-atla.agfa.com
Wed Dec 6 01:29:26 AEST 1989

In article <3245 at brazos.Rice.edu> you write:

>I need information on IPI technology running on sparc servers. I am
>interested in getting a SparcServer 330, I am not interested in paying for
>a SparcServer 390.
>
>Does anyone know who makes the IPI disk and disk controllers for Sun, so I
>don't have to pay their prices? Does or has anyone tried a SparcServer 330
>with the IPI disk system?

We are working on doing that now.  There are a few problems to note:

* Most IPI disks cannot run that much faster than better SMD drives
  (3.0MB/sec)
* Sun's IPI interface is a two board set and will not fit in a 330
* Early 330's had a smallish powersupply and you have to be careful about
  how much you're drawing out.
* I have not been able to determine just how the CPU board knows that there
  is a SMD/SMD-clone board in there to boot off.

I would say to buy a 370 for the slots and powersupply and put your own
SMD or IPI if you wish.  IPI is pretty new and not established enough to
support the end-user who is playing system integrator too.

Most of the big names in disk controllers (Xylogic, Interface, etc) have
beta boards to do what you're talking about.  I don't think any are
released solid products.

Regards, Jeff Weber