DDN/X.25 Experience with SparcServer

wayne at tecnet.navy.mil wayne at tecnet.navy.mil
Wed Dec 6 02:31:20 AEST 1989

We are considering connecting a SparcServer 370 to DDN using the SunLink
DDN package and a MCP.  The connection will be a 56kb line to a local PSN.
The DDN TCP/IP software will be run on top of X.25 -- which provides the
communications protocol to the PSN.

We are running the standard DDN protocols -- TELNET, SMTP and FTP -- and
are using gated for routing and the name server.

We have been burnt twice with the X.25/DDN product offered by other
computer vendors.  In both cases the product was buggy -- and in one case
the implementation was incomplete.

I am interested in any experiences (positive or negative) that others have
had with the SunLink DDN product.  Is it solid?  Is it relatively complete
(compared to the standard network services provided over a TCP/IP ethernet
for example)?  Are there any performance problems?  etc. etc. etc.

Any input will be appreciated.  Please send responses to
wayne at tecnet1.jcte.jcs.mil.

Wayne Madison
TECNET
Clemson University