PostScript printing without Transcript?

David Kensiski mmsac!david at sacto.west.sun.com
Sun Dec 31 04:42:37 AEST 1989

In Sun-Spots v8n132, rwl at umree.ee.umr.edu (Wayne Little) writes:

> It seems that sending PostScript documents should work fine through the
> standard lpr interface?

Yes, it does work fine.  We have Transcript, but I have tested the
hardware connection to our printer this way.

> The 2 obvious things one might miss from the Transcript package
> ("LaserWriter Interface Kit") are ptroff & the raster-to-PS filter.
> Anything else essential?

Well, the obvious thing that is missing is enscript, the filter that
generates PostScript from a flat ASCII file.  There may be a PD version of
enscript out there, but without it, all you will be able to print are
PostScript documents.

Of course, you may never need to print an ASCII file...

David L. Kensiski, KB6HCN     Martin Marietta Data Systems
Software Engineer             1540 River Park Drive, Suite 213
Phone: (916) 929-8844         Sacramento, CA  95815
UUCP: sun!sacto!mmsac!david   INTERNET: mmsac!david at sacto.West.Sun.COM