PostScript printing without Transcript?

Wayne Little rwl at umree.ee.umr.edu
Sat Dec 23 09:46:35 AEST 1989

Anyone running a PostScript printer on a sun without Transcript?

It seems that sending PostScript documents should work fine through the
standard lpr interface?  The 2 obvious things one might miss from the
Transcript package ("LaserWriter Interface Kit") are ptroff & the
raster-to-PS filter.  Anything else essential?

With our university discounts on the HP LaserJet IIp, it looks like we
should be able to get one with 2 MB of memory & PostScript (when its
ready) for under $2000.00.  It seems like a real shame to turn around and
pay just as much ($1800.00 Non-Discountable) to sun for the Transcript
package.

Are there any common-domain alternatives, or do we have to cough up $1800?
Or am I all wet & its really worth it?  Convince me :-) [ Then maybe I can
convince the prof. who almost choked to death when I told him about the
$1800 price tag to "interface" his printer. :-) ]