Sun 3/80 floppy disk WORKS!!

Jay Williamson jaysun at cs.clemson.edu
Tue Dec 12 01:22:07 AEST 1989

A few weeks ago I posted a message about 3/80's floppy disks:

]>We have a couple Sun 3/80's with floopy disks.  The problem is that
]>fdformat will not work, neither will eject.  It seems to be some problem
]>with the device names.  We did a MAKEDEV fd0, just like the manual says

Text deleted ...

]>me and point me in the right direction.  If it hasn't then send answers to
]>me and I will summarize later.

The winner is:    harv at herkimer (Harvard Townsend)

   .... [[ Text of Reply in v8n205 deleted -bdg ]] ...

One problem out of the way, now fdformat is giving me problems.

Problems, problems, problems .......  If I do an fdformat then mkfs bombs
out on an I/O error.  To trace this back some I did an fdformat -v to
verify that it formated correctly.  I got a "Data write error" and "I/O
error" on the verify cycle.  I tried 3 different disks at varying
densities just to check but they all came back with the same error.

Any more hints, suggestions, answers?????
                     _  _
Jay Williamson       O  O       Clemson University
Systems Programmer    <     Computer Science Dept.
                     \__/