workstation choices - DEC vs SUN

UF749 at cc.usu.edu UF749 at cc.usu.edu
Tue Dec 12 02:03:00 AEST 1989

We are currently trying to decide between a Decstation 3100, A Sun
Sparcstation1 and the Sun 4/330, as appropriate workstations/servers Of
concern (in order)  are (1) Floating point performance, (2) Graphics
performance, (3) Disk performance (as a server), (4) Utility and stability
of OS.  Languages used for computation will be Fortran and C.

The intention is to get 1 server, and 1 to 3 diskless (small disk )
clients with logins feasible from a Mac network attached through
Gator/Kinetics/ Ether card etc.

I would appreciate any comments and suggestions from people who have
either or all of these machines, as to their biases and also what
configurations are optimal Ideas on prices and sources for third party
disk/memory/boards and experiences

Will be glad to post a summary, and to share our direct experiences.

Thanks
Upmanu Lall
Utah Water Research laboratory
Utah State University