Bad YP handling

Neil Ostroff nao at cuatro.bellcore.com
Tue Dec 12 03:46:41 AEST 1989

In article <3495 at brazos.Rice.edu> Steven V. Christensen writes:

>Situation: When I run "make all" in /var/yp on the Sun to re-make and
>redistribute the YP databases, it says (for example):
>
>updated passwd
>
>yp server not registered at <Machine B>.
>
>yp server not registered at <Machine B>.
>pushed passwd

This occurs when <Machine B>'s ypserv(8) is not running.  Most likely, you
either have a yp configuration problem on the Sun or <Machine B> is not
set up to be a slave server.  To figure out what's going on, you need to
know whether <Machine B> is supposed to be a yp slave server or just a yp
client (the Sun is the yp master server).  Now verify your Sun yp
configuration by cd-ing to /var/yp/your_domain and typing:
"/usr/etc/yp/makedbm -u ypservers".  If it returns the name of <Machine
B>, then your Sun wants <Machine B> to be a yp slave server.
Unconfiguring your Sun is somewhat of a pain, however the procedure is
described in Chapter 14 of the System and Network Administration manual.
If you want <Machine B> to be a slave server, then it needs to be set up.

Neil Ostroff
Bell Communications Research  |  UUCP:  bcr!nao
100 Schultz Dr.  NVC-5J443    |  ARPA:  nao at cuatro.bellcore.com
Red Bank, NJ  07701           |  PHONE: (201) 758-5741