Accessing ethernet.

Evan Bauman bauman at shell.com
Thu Dec 21 01:13:47 AEST 1989

>I'm quite sure Sun's version of UUCP does have this feature.  If you want
>to poll a site over Ethernet, just replace DIR (or ACU) in the
>corresponding entry in L.sys by TCP and make sure your /etc/services has
>an entry like
>
>uucp            540/tcp         uucpd           # uucp daemon
>
>and that the `uucpd' is listed in /etc/inetd.conf on the remote system.

This is definitely *in*correct.  Sun has never supplied TCP support in its
uucp and, as far as I know, has never promised to do so.  As proof, I
offer the absence of uucpd in the standard release of SunOS 3.X and 4.X.

To get TCP support, you must have a source license for BSD.  Compile the
source for uucp and install on your Sun and away you go.  There were some
diffs that were necessary for SunOS 3.X.  I got a copy a while back from
someone at uunet, so I guess they may be available from that site via ftp.
I have no idea whether there is a separate set of diffs for SunOS 4.X.

	Evan G. Bauman
	Shell Development Company - Westhollow Research Center
	PO Box 1380; Houston, TX 77251-1380
	bauman at shell.com   or for the uucp types: {sun,bcm}!shell!bauman