Accessing ethernet.

Oliver Laumann net at TUB.BITNET
Sun Dec 3 01:53:40 AEST 1989

In article <3216 at brazos.Rice.edu> you write:
> You cannot access ethernet the same way as /dev/ttya.  The HoneyDanBer
> implementation of UUCP is supposed to be able to build a connection
> through the ethernet as a TCP port, but the version of UUCP that Sun
> distributes does not have this feature.

I'm quite sure Sun's version of UUCP does have this feature.  If you want
to poll a site over Ethernet, just replace DIR (or ACU) in the
corresponding entry in L.sys by TCP and make sure your /etc/services has
an entry like

uucp            540/tcp         uucpd           # uucp daemon

and that the `uucpd' is listed in /etc/inetd.conf on the remote system.

Regards,
Oliver Laumann              net at TUB.BITNET              net at tub.UUCP